Business Basics for Doulas
You’ve taken your doula training and you’re excited to get started accepting and serving clients…but…wait! This is a business and you may not know where to start or what to do next. Some questions you might have are:
· How do I find clients? Do I have to do my certifying births for free?
· How do I conduct a consultation? What do I need to bring with me? How should I dress?
· What needs to be in my contract?
· How much should I charge? What expenses do I need to plan for?
· How do I register my business?
· Do I need a website? What about business cards?
· How do I present myself to others in the communities and talk about my business?
· What do I need to do to feel prepared to accept clients?
· Can I really create a sustainable business as a doula?
In this class, these are the questions we will answer. We will go step-by-step through the process from being training to running a business. We will discuss the variety of options currently available for doulas work within: solo practice, partnerships, collaborations, agencies and community doula work. We will discuss benefits and pitfalls in each type of practice and what we currently have available in the St. Louis area.